Questions and AnswersCategory: QuestionsUnmarried woman and mutah?
wondering asked 2 months ago

Salam. According to Sayed Sistani, can an unmarried woman enter into a mutah contract without her father’s permission if her father is abusive? She is currently living with her parents, but is financially independent and looking to move out soon. Her parents have caused her enormous amounts of stress and and harm. She is trying to distance herself from them and is concerned that she will have issues getting married if her father gets involved. Her paternal grandfather is deceased. Thank you. Wsalam.

1 Answers
mehdi Staff answered 2 months ago

أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم

بِسْمِ ٱللَّٰهِ ٱلرَّحْمَٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

As Salaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

We hope this answer reaches you in good health and Islamic spirit.

Based on your specific question and information provided.

We need to hear from both parties involved, However, we will provide you with general guidance in matter of Marriage. Regarding the Type of Marriage suitable for unmarried women, aside from common practice or what is preferred,  you and your family needs to decide based on your purpose of Life , Marriage and spiritual / social / future potential risks and unintended consequences  etc…

The Islamic Scholars have divided the Islamic teachings in three parts.Fundamental of Faith ( Belief / Aqidah), Islamic Ethics / Morals, and Islamic Law/ Fiqh / Jurisprudence. The “institution of  Marriage” is covered by all three. The “Marriage Contract” is cover by Islamic Fiqh.

From the Fiqh / Jurisprudence perspective. ( Marriage Contract).

If you are not independent(*), it is obligatory on you to seek your (Wali) Father’s consent. Rather, even if you are independent(*), you must seek his consent, as a matter of compulsory precaution.

(*) Independent : Independent here means in ALL your Affairs ( meaning here is not only restricted to independence in financial affairs). Also means that the father has allowed you to marry whomsoever you want or that he has withdrawn from interfering in the matter of your marriage, it is permissible for you to do so; otherwise, it is not permissible.


والله العالم‎
(and Allah(awj) Knows best)

If you have further questions kindly contact us at (718) 297-6520 Ext 113 Monday to Saturday between 11:AM – 3:00 PM.