Mina Moghanaki asked 3 months ago

Dear representative of the grand Ayatollah Sistani, H.E. Sheikh Fadhel Al-Sahlani;
I am 66 years old and retired. 
I have received some gold bracelets, ring and neckless from my parents and couple of pieces I have purchased myself a long time ago which are all are within my sha’n if not less. I have used them few times in the past. However, I haven’t used them for past few years. I am intending it to pass it on and have no intention of selling them. Do I have to pay Khums on them, how am I supposed to pay it based on today’s value or when I gift it?
-The second questions I have is that when my husband inherited money from his parents, He invested in stocks and put my name as a joint owner. This is an custom thing to do in here. I have never received it in person. so, what should I do? is there any khums for it now or do I pay when I need to cash the stock?
– Also, I have couple of IRA and SEP (retirement accounts). Do I have to pay khums on them or when I cash them? Khums was not paid on the original deposits.
May Allah Subhanahu Wata\\\’ala protect us all during these trials.
Fi Amanillah

1 Answers
Fiqh Department Staff answered 3 months ago

بِسْمِ ٱللَّٰهِ ٱلرَّحْمَٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
As Salaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,
We hope this answer finds you in high Islamic spirit.
1- Since you used the gold, even in the past it is not subject of Khums. 
2- If your husband considers you a real shari partner in this stock then you would have to pay Khums for your share when you cash them. Otherwise, if he just put your name for any other reason and you are not the real shari owner of the stock then you are not responsible for paying the Khums. 
3- If you know how much the original deposit amount was then you would have to pay Khums on it. Otherwise, you would have to pay Khums on the original amount and the profit when you cash them.