Leila asked 3 days ago

Assalamu aleykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh, 
This is the first time I’m asking for religious advice for this subject. I must admit that I am a little bit nervous because this is not a common situation. I converted to Islam a few years ago after I went through an unusual path. I was diagnosed by a doctor as a person whose psychological sex didn’t match the physical sex. In order to try to fix this problem which was causing me great pain, I underwent sex reassignment surgery which changed my sexual organs from male to female. I also took hormone therapy which made me go through a kind of “second puberty” accompanied by the changes that other women experience at this time of life (growth of certain parts of the body, fat redistribution, etc.). My official name and gender were also changed. 
All of this happened before I encountered Islam and the Quran. Since my conversion took place after irreversibly acquiring a feminine appearance and female biological characteristics, I have always put into practice what Islam requires of women, such as wearing a hijab when there are men or when performing salat. To be honest, I don’t regret my medical history as it solved my inadequacy issue and associated depression. I have found scientific research in which MRI has been used and has shown that it is possible to have a sexual mismatch between the brain and the body, therefore I have always considered my condition to be a handicap or a disability. Now I feel well, I feel like a women like any other but I’m mostly concerned about who I should marry now that these physical changes have been made. 
I met a muslim man who knows everything about my situation and we get along very well. We would like to get married so that our relationship would be halal but I don’t want to make him sin by doing this because I deeply care about him. So here is the question I would like to ask you: would this man be doing something haram if we got married? We could not find an answer to this question because the treatment of my disorder used recent technologies. The closest islamic concept we have found regarding this situation is the concept of khuntha (خنثى). 
Thanks in advance, 
Barak Allah fik. 

1 Answers
mehdi Staff answered 3 days ago

بِسْمِ ٱللَّٰهِ ٱلرَّحْمَٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

As Salaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

We hope this answer reaches you in good health and Islamic spirit.
Kindly, accept our apologies for any delayed response, due to heavy load of questions.

Based on your specific question and information provided.

Kindly, call us to discuss.

( Allah(awj) Knows best).

If you have further questions kindly contact us at (718) 297-6520 Ext 113 Monday to Saturday between 11:AM – 3:00 PM.